Monday, February 1, 2010

The Slipcover Project

I made a lot of progress on my slipcover this past weekend. I just need to hem the bottom and make a few small adjustments. I'm really amazed with myself, especially since I haven't touched a sewing machine in 29 years. I found it a lot easier than I imagined. Of course I made it extra easy by using a solid fabric. Prints can be complicated. I'll let you in on a little secret about the fabric too. This oatmeal colored canvas, which looks just like a beautiful linen is really just a painter's drop cloth from Home Depot. I think I paid $9.99 for it. Unfortunately, I don't remember the actual product name. I washed it several times to soften it up. Now, our cat Jenny Marie is happy to have her chair back, and I'm happy that the fabric is super durable and machine washable. Tomorrow I'll post some pictures of the new sofa, which looks quite nice with my chair.