Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Room


It's so gratifying to receive all your nice comments about my slipcover. Here's a closer look at the complete room--new sofa and all. The sofa is soooo comfortable. The feather blend cushions are plump and cozy, which is heaven compared to my last foam-filled sofa. You can also see the grain sack picture that I was working on last year over the sofa along with a picture of Joan Didion (one of my favorite writers) that I painted. I'm sure I'll keep fussing with this room until garden season begins. Once the warmer weather comes I won't go near this room. I'll be outside as much as possible. Thanks again for your comments.


Here are a few details as to how I accomplished the slip cover project:

I made the pattern by tracing the shape of the chair onto big sheets of paper.

I made templates of the back, the side, and the seat cushion. I actually played with the paper templates, pinning them to the chair to figure out how each piece would need to connect. Then I pinned each template to the drop cloth and traced the pattern onto the fabric, adding an inch all around.

I sewed the outer back and sides together first. Then I added the inner back, followed by the inner arms, and the front skirt was attached last.

I'm pretty sure that the drop cloth I mentioned yesterday should still be available at Home Depot.

Hope I've inspired you to give it a try.









13 comments:

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

It came out so great!!!! Thank you for letting us know how you did it.I will bet Home Depot is running out of drop clothes since you posted:)
~Debra
Blog: Capers of the vintage vixens

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

talk about...help is on the way..could i ever use this!

i "used to have" 2 beautiful wing backed chairs that I had done in a cranberry red wool....apparently my kittys thought it was their 'sharpening station'..and I just sit there and watch them stratch..I can't say NO to them..i always think to myself...i hope nobody is watching me...so after it was getting too bad.. i just threw 2 red and green wool camp balnkets that I had SCORED BIG TIME in Maine...I LOVE these blankets..and it works..for some reason they don't stratch them..the want the "real meat"..the chair..so i gave up thinking "I'll never have nice chairs again with my kittys" and then I see this...

looks like Kary has a new project...

thanks for sharing this, my friend

kary and her kittys

b.ellen said...

Looks Awesome! you have inspired me... I have a chair I need to do but I have been to scared to tackle!
I love that canvas drop cloth. I have used it in so many of my projects!
fyi everybody most places that sells paint also sells canvas drop cloth
blessings b

Robin said...

Lovely room. Your slipcover looks right at home. The new sofa looks snuggle-up-with-a-good-book worth.

I am wondering the name of the color on your walls. I'm on the look out for a new color for my living room. I love the look of your walls.

Low Tide High Style said...

Your room looks wonderful. I love your comfy sofa and your new slipcovered chair, complete with kitty! Clearly your talents extend beyond sewing based on the painting of your favorite writer!

I am inspired, I just don't know if I'm up to the challenge! The last thing I sewed was over 18 years ago and well...let's just say, it wasn't pretty!

Kat :)

Carey said...

I slipcovered a club chair 20 years ago and swore I'd never do it again. . . but you've inspired me. Beautiful job, and beautiful "save" for the chair.

Carey said...

p.s. I'm wild for that painting!

Rural Revival said...

Definitely inspired!

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

It's perfect! I can't imagine how gratifying that must be!

farmlady said...

Your livingroom is just lovely. You can do so much with so few inexpensive items. You are an inspiration to us all.

melanie lace said...

You are so talented. I wish I could do this!

LuLu said...

Oh it's just so wonderful. you are so talented!!
xo,
LuLu

farmhouse wares said...

Robin,

I wanted to let you know about the paint color in my room that you asked about. The company doesn't make that shade anymore(of course). I did a little research to try and match it because it needs a fresh coat. I haven't found an eco-friendly brand yet, but I did find One-Coat Kilz Sparkling Cider or number LO517. Best of luck. Betsy