Friday, July 17, 2009

I Need the Beach



Well, I leave you for the weekend with some images from my beach trip last weekend. I grew up around the beaches of Rhode Island, and I'm still blown away by how crystal blue the water can be. I need the beach because it triggers fond memories of days with little responsibilities, save for working on my tan. I love the clam shacks with their greasy fried foods. I love the seagulls and how they can be so graceful one moment and like vultures the next. I need the beach because it makes me feel free. I love the waves and the sound of the surf. I love how you look out at the ocean and see endless miles of blue. I need the beach because it rejuvenates my soul. Though I love my country life, my chickens and the mountains that surround us, I need the beach.



8 comments:

{jen} miss pickles press said...

where did you grow up in RI? my husband is from warren!

The Consummate Hostess said...

I love that first picture where you see just the very top half of the bright umbrellas, very nice! Oh and those fries look amazing!

Carole~Maynard Greenhouse said...

There is definitely a comforting nostalgia that comes with vacationing at the beach. Having lived by the beach my whole life it guess I sometimes take it for granted.Thanks for reminding me!
Do love the greasy food though!
Carole

Lisa said...

Betsy,
Meeee tooo! We are headed to Hilton Head in a couple of weeks. First time on the Atlantic! I'm excited but a tad anxious as we are only used to SoCal beaches. Hope it's not to touristy as everyone in Lexinton proudly displays their HH sticker on the back of the suburban at the end of every summer. Looks like your trip was wonderful!

Beach Vintage said...

The colour of that water is truly ]amazing.

Farm said...

Nothing says SUMMER like your great photographs !

Amanda said...

My husband was born in RI and my mother-in-law grew up there. Now they have to get a little of the beach in Algoma, Wisconsin. I agree that looking out over the water makes you feel free and rejuvenates you. I love visiting and just sitting on the sand and watching my children play and the waves hitting the breaker. :)Yeah

cristinella said...

Oh Betsy, How true it is...we need the beach! Even in the winter I like to go and hear the surf crashing up onto the sand. There are usually surfers out there in the cold water of Newport 1st (Easton's) Beach, which always amazes me. And clamcakes are always nearby...!