Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Sound Sound

Recently, I took my daughter to the park. It was late in the afternoon and my iced coffee wasn't doing the trick, so I had that lethargic, can-I-really-be-this-tired-or-do-I-have Lyme-disease feeling. I let her go run and play, while I sat on a bench and closed my eyes. The air was perfect with a friendly breeze. I could hear the kids playing. It reminded me of days when I would be drifting off to sleep on the beach. The sound of waves and kids building sand castles lulled me into a dreamy state. Then a woman walked by my park bench. I cracked an eye open to acknowledge her. She said, "Don't you wish they had adult playgrounds right next to this, so we could work-out while they play?" I laughed and said that would be great. But I lied, because I was quite content doing nothing and having nothing to do so I could just listen to sound of kids playing.

9 comments:

Trina said...

That's great. I remember those sleepy days on the beach myself. Sounds wonderful.

knack said...

this is so funny....I was totally like this the other day while watching my kids at the pool....they are 10 and 13 .....so I read my magazines and kind of doze......:)

I'm totally lovint the little cupcake stands......they are so cute! xo

Jo said...

I'm envious that you made it to the beach!

Jo

HeddyShea said...

Workout??? what is she crazy?

XO
SHS

farmhouse wares said...

Seriously! Working out is the last thing on my mind when I have a chance to actually rest.

vintage simple said...

i loved reading this... being a mom is one of the best--and also most exhausting things in the world... i would much rather enjoy those few precious moments when you can be still (and re-capture a little bit of the feeling from before you were just "mom") sitting on a park bench than working out. ;)
-maria

Amanda said...

Yeah, I couldn't agree more:)

Lindsey said...

Sleepy beach days are the best.
I agree I'd be much happier channeling those memories than working out! But adult playgrounds could be fun (sans exercise equipment of course)...then maybe people would be happier!

{ Lindsey }
http://greatfullday.blogspot.com

cottage farm villa (cottagecharm) said...

This is a great post! Love your honesty!!!

Yes, isn't great to be lulled to sleep on the beach by the sounds of kids playing and waves crashing!!

thank you for stopping by :)