Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Here's a Seed of an Idea

This picture fills me with hope. I'm getting excited about my gardens again. For those of us in the northeast it's time to take out those garden journals and start planning. Every year I say I'm not going to purchase any more plants. Sometimes I think my gardens might be worth more than my house. But I'm weak when I get to the garden centers.

A good way save is to plant from seed. Last year I did most of my annuals and cut flowers from seed. It was a great project for my daughter too. She was pleased to see her hard work turn into vases of flowers. I recycle the plastic six-pack containers that annuals typically come in, along with the garden trays. I just line the six-packs up on the trays, fill them with soil and have my daughter stick in the seeds.

A great resource for seeds is Local Harvest. Many are from small family farms and you may be able to stay local too.

Happy planting!