Thursday, July 21, 2011

Shaker Cake Recipe

My husband is not big into sweets. This has always been a bit of a drag for me. It's a lot easier to indulge in desserts when you have someone who is just as eager as you. The thought of being the only one to order a sweet treat after a big meal feels a little lonely to me. So, when my husband came home with this shaker cake recipe and said I HAVE to make it, I was intrigued. I had some friends over for dinner the other night and decided to whip this up. It's a perfect summer treat, made with refreshing pineapple and a cream cheese frosting that is to do die for. Give it a try:

Shaker Cake
2 eggs well-beaten
20 oz undrained pineapple (crushed)
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda

Combine ingredients by hand. Put in ungreased 9" x 13" pan
Bake at 350 for 35-45 min

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 eight-oz. pkg cream cheese
1/4 lb butter
1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Displayed on our French Wire Cake Stand, available at Farmhouse Wares

6 comments:

Karlene said...

I share your pain; my husband isnt big on homebaked goods either. he does like chocolate though, so I'm not always alone :-)

LOVE the sound of this cake - I really enjoy baking.

I also have to let you know how much I adore your galvanized cake stand - may have to get myself one of those soon!

Karlene
x

Elizabeth said...

This sounds yummy! Just printed off the recipe to try it!
Lovely blog you have! I'm off to check out the adorable cake stand.
Elizabeth

Elizabeth said...

Is that 18 ounces of cream cheese or 1 - 8 ounce cream cheese? Just need to know whether I have to run to the supermarket.

Thanks!

farmhouse wares said...

Elizabeth, It is 1 - 8 oz. I made the correction. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. That would be very cream cheesey frosting. :)

Elizabeth said...

Thanks! I can make that w/o an extra trip. I'm new to this whole baking from scratch thing so I wanted to make sure I got it right!!

This is getting done today.

farmhouse wares said...

Enjoy!