Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Mulberry Madness

Hey there! Hope you all had a wonderful 4th. I had a relaxing time with family and friends at a nearby lake. When we returned home, all sun-kissed and tired, we realized the chickens had escaped from their run. They seemed like happy campers though, as they had discovered the abundance of mulberries that have fallen from our huge white mulberry tree. For some reason, the tree has been extra productive this year, and we have mulberries coming out of our ears. I'm not a fan of the white mulberry. I find them rather bland, but my husband has a co-worker that loves them, so every year we make sure she gets buckets-full of them. I'm going to try to make a pie, but if anyone out there has a recipe for mulberry muffins, jams or anything that might help to sweeten them, I'd love to hear from you. The berries are at their peak right now, and I'd like to be able to say, mulberries aren't just for the birds.