Tuesday, February 15, 2011

chicken report {no. 11}


It’s been a long, rough winter for me, and I’m pretty confident my chickens feel the same. Because of all the snow, their run has been diminished to a small patch of freedom in front of the coop. On cold days, they stay nestled inside, and can’t be bothered with the outdoors, save for a few small moments of kicking around for some scraps in the morning. Their sleeping habits are all messed up. We find them sleeping in the nesting boxes, which are metal and cold, rather than on the roost. My husband thinks it’s due to a draft that appears to be blowing in the lath shutters he designed. If I know my husband, he’s already planning a way to provide R4 value insulation to keep his ladies warm.

They’ve still been producing eggs, though not as frequent. We’re down to about 4-5 a day versus eight. Last year, we used a light to trick them into thinking it was spring, so they would produce at their regular pace. My husband didn’t want to stress them, so he gave them a break from the lamp this year.

Yesterday was near 50 degrees and we were all happy chickens. It was nice to see the girls venture outside and play in the dirt. They must be staring at that wall of white stuff that leads to their big run and wondering if it will ever go back to the way it was: lush green grass and warm, sunny days. I know I’m very much looking forward to seeing the grass again. I just can’t wait till I can make my way to the coop without slipping and sliding on the icy, narrow path. Feels like we have miles to go...

7 comments:

Celestial Charms said...

Love the chicken update. They are so beautiful, as is their little home. Have a wonderful day.
Maureen

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

My chickens have been in for most of the winter too. I added more bedding to make it warmer for them and they started to produce more eggs:) I know they want to go out into the garden as much as I do. I do think they appreciate me more now that I visit them inside of their coop everyday;)One of my roosters have given up attacking me. lol
~Debra xxx
Capers of the vintage vixens

Beyond My Garden said...

I sympathize with your chickens. I have been sleeping in my nest too.
nellie

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I think is so kind of your husband to not stress the chickens out. I hope to have hens in the spring.

Terrell said...

I just cannot get enough of your fun filled Farmhouse blog and store! I just made a purchase yesterday and cannot WAIT to get my order!! I think you have the absolute greatest finds and I'm thrilled to give you a shout out on my blog ~ Frou Frou Decor! Again, great great stuff and I cannot wait to visit and of course shop often!
Hugs to you,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

Southern Lady said...

Poor little chickens. I, too, am ready for spring and warmer weather. Carla

Erin said...

Your ladies are beautiful! The hubby and I have just recently discussed getting a few Silkies.... we already have two potbellies, two tortoises, a bassett, snakes, rats, lizards, toads.. you name it... lol. The hubby is already looking forward to building a beautiful, cozy home for chickens we don't have yet! I will cross my fingers for you and your girls that spring is here sooner than later!