Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Shut the Front Door

My mother has this cunning way of showing her disapproval or forcing her opinion. Her tactic is simple, yet insidious. She basically asks questions. “Is your hair still dark?” she innocently asks. Then she quickly follows with, “You know you look so much better when it’s lightened.” Yes, that was about ten years ago. I tried to go back to my natural color and stop being a slave to the highlights. But her question preoccupied me. Not long after I was begging my stylist to pack in the highlights, and I haven’t looked back.

Last year, in an effort to simplify things around the house, we decided to paint the exterior of our house all one color—a simple farmhouse white. This included the front door. Now, my mom is very traditional, and I know she has a thing for red doors. When she saw the house what did she do? She asked a question: “Are you going to paint the front door?” Then she quickly followed this with, “You know red would really look cute.” For a whole year, every time the subject of our house came up, she asked about the door. I’m not kidding. I just got off the phone with her and she asked again. So, now I’m obsessing over my front door. This is not a project I need right now. Yet, on my bike ride today, I will undoubtedly look at every front door in my neighborhood. I will start to go through magazines and gather paint swatches every time I enter Home Depot. She just has that much power. If only I could simply turn to her and say, “Shut the front door.” (If you know what I mean.)

16 comments:

* French Farmhouse 425 * said...

Im lol right now.. I think you door looks great white..but I also know how hard mothers opinions can be to ignore ;).Red is a nice option though..what about painting it a light celery sage color..very calm and cool not so bright.You might hate that color..;) It would make it look coastal..But red is more farmhouse and more fitting im sure.. anyhow cant wait to see how it turns out!! And if you do decide to keep it white I think it looks wonderful how it is~~Rachel

Anonymous said...

Did you steal my mother??????

A House and Home said...

heeheehee...That kind of sounds like my mother-in-law. I keep trying to find the courage to tell her things like I like the photograph in my living room and actually paid to have it framed even though she asked why it was there. Ummm...rhetorical question I suppose. Now, everytime I look at that photograph, I wonder, does it not look right there? Is it not as pretty as I thought? Should I choose something else instead? I wish I could tell her to...well. I'm a very good daughter-in-law. You know I won't.

Lolo said...

Hahaha....Apparently all mothers have that affect, huh? There is always that little voice in the back of our head (or in your face!).
Hey, at least you didnt say the REAL "Shut the front door" line....LOL

The Frosted Gardner said...

Moms are funny things are they not! We all have one and no joke - they have a way of coercing. They say very little - but we got it! Yes mom I know. I know what you are getting at. I have started saying it before she does - "I know you don't like blue in pictures." And then her response is usually - I was not going to say that. But I know 100% she was! :)

Your white door is a joy. Don't change a thing.

ChRiS said...

this is such a cute post....i just got off the phone with mom, she will be 83 and still has HER opinions.....and i still have selected hearing lol but sadly some day they won't be here to voice them =(

Anonymous said...

From my mother-in-law about cleaning: "there are different kinds of clean and yours and mine are just different." Love her anyway...

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

My mother always asks if I had a salad for lunch. But I know it means how's the diet going ? Gotta love them! BY the way thank you for following my blog. I was so excited when I noticed I had one more follower!!!!!

Tammy said...

This blog made me laugh...sounds like my MIL...to the tee!!
I like the door white!!
Love your blog...it makes me smile!
Tammy :-)

http://junkwildnc.blogspot.com

Shawn said...

Wait- I wonder if we have the same mothers? My mom does the exact same things to me. And then after she gives me her "opinion", I end up doing what she said ! Whether I want to or not- or it bugs me until I change it... hair too dark, pictures hung to high or low, paint color is bad, etc etc

mothers....gotta love em

LuLu said...

heehee mothers!!! You've got me thinking what my daughters are going to say to each other when they are older about me :) oh no!!
xo,
LuLu

Sue Richardson said...

My mother has a secret daughter??? So funny!Your home is lovely. And I do think the front door would look awesome painted whatever color YOU decided on!

Celestial Charms said...

I wonder if your Mom really expects you to take heed of her advise. Sometimes I find some people just like to give their opinion about everything, not that they actually expect anyone to listen. :)
I'm afraid I'm one of those people. ;)
I'm curious what sun sign your mom is????
Love this post, and have a wonderful weekend!
Maureen

farmhouse wares said...

Rachel, It's so funny that you would say "light celery sage", as that was the color we first painted the doors. I still have it on the porch, and I still love it.

Maureen, My mon is a Leo--born on the same as Martha Stewart. Go figure!

laney said...

...oh dear...this did not make me think of my mother or my mother in law...it made me think of ME!...there is much to learn from all you sweet young things...

Allison said...

yes...welcome to my world too! :) What is it with our mothers? I am trying even now to train myself to be different with my own kids... I can only hope my efforts will have some measure of success! (ps...go green!)