Friday, October 16, 2009

bittersweet

My little bittersweet wreath was made in approximately three minutes. That includes the removal of leaves and connecting the vines. That was the easy part. It took me about 30 minutes to go out and tackle my way through the brush and another 20 to tug and pull at the vines while trying to maintain the precious berries.

Bittersweet is aptly named, because even though its bright yellow and orange fruits look so pretty, its vines are invasive and can kill trees and shrubs. I know, because I've been watching it kill my lilacs over the years. I've tried everything, save for chemicals, to eradicate it. I've pulled the vines from their roots until my back was too sore to move anymore. But they come back with a vengeance. So every fall, I give up my battle, and embrace their beauty. It's bittersweet.

Happy weekend!

6 comments:

A Country Farmhouse said...

I love Bittersweet - but did not know how invasive it was! I use to gather it up every fall when I lived in Maine and adorn the house with it. It doesn't grow out here but I so wish I had some to string along the mantle. A lot of Mainers did that every year and it always looked so beautiful. ; ) Trina

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

I agree with the above comment..I have a friend who lives in Nantucket...and every year she goes out and raids the back lot and sends me a box.To me and my girlfriends..it's like we just got a box of gold delivered from Fort Knox....

American Patriot said...

I remember hiking in the woods with my Grandpa when I was a kid, we would bring back "bundles" of bittersweet from our woodland ventures for the whole family to decorate our homes. It was the "final harvest" as he would put it, almost as if he was feeling deprived from the fact that his garden was finished for the season. My Gram would drape it all over the mantle and make halos around the pumpkins on the front porch before us kids carved them up.

Basil Becky said...

I have a wonderful batch of bittersweet on a tree in the back yard. I love making small wreaths and bunches and giving it to my friends for fall decorations!!!

Diann said...

Ahhh, bittersweet. New England Kudzu.I wish there were a way to get rid of it...it is pretty for such a short time...and murderous for the rest.

cristinella said...

Hi Betsy,

Every year I go out and get my bittersweet down in the tangled brush in back of Kent Field. It's so nice to still have a wild place in the middle of the subburbs!

Chris L