Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Fairy Flowers

The other day I cut a bunch of my Lily-of-the-Valley. It’s about to go past, which seems crazy because I feel like they just came into bloom. When I was a kid I had a Kiddle doll that smelled just like Lily-of-the-Valley. Kiddles were all the rage when I was a young. They were tiny little dolls that came in their own special carrying case and always wore beautiful fairy-like dresses. My sister had one she kept for years, but in a massive cleaning/purge her husband inadvertently chucked it. Gasp! The mere thought still breaks my heart. I’ll have to head over to ebay and see if I can find one for her birthday.

Because of the Kiddle, Lily-of-the-Valley has always been a favorite of mine. I told my daughter that they were special fairy flowers. The fairies like to live and sleep among their dark crowded leaves because it makes them feel safe. I also said they use the flowers as umbrellas when it rains. She listened to me wide-eyed, as she does every time I tell my tall tales. She asked why I was cutting the flowers since the fairies needed them. I always find myself back peddling in these situations, but I quickly replied that I like to keep a vase or two around to attract the fairies into the house so they can sprinkle good luck dust everywhere.

Later that day, one little bottle that I had placed in the bathroom was mysteriously missing. I found it in my daughter’s room by her bed. I left it there; picked up a pile of dirty clothes and smiled.