Thursday, January 29, 2009

I heart magazines

This is just one of my many embarrassing magazine piles. I LOVE magazines. I don’t crack open a magazine until I know I can dedicate some serious quality time. I also go crazy if someone is reading a magazine I haven’t read yet and they start showing me pictures. That’s just sacrilegious to me. I savor every quiet moment--every morsel of my magazine.

My Mom is the same way. She has magazines that must date back to the 70's, and she knows if you've touched them. She knows.

Of course I have guilt about all that paper. I know it’s not good for the planet, but if I let a magazine go, I recycle. Anywho, I'm very sad today because I keep learning of more magazines biting the dust. Today it was Domino. Last week it was Country Home and before that it was Cottage Living.

Something has to change, so that I don’t lose one of my favorite pastimes. There are some good thoughts about this topic being expressed over at the blog Please sir. Check it out and add your two cents.

5 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

I was crushed about Cottage Living. Hands down, it was one of my three favorite magazines.

They swapped my subscription for Southern Living, which came last week. Years ago, I subscribed to SL, so I'm familiar with it. What arrived in my mailbox was the anorexic version of SL. Half its size and with no meat at all. A couple of half-hearted articles and lots of ads. Lame.

farmhouse wares said...

That's a drag. They replaced mine with SL too. Not looking forward to my first issue.

vicki archer said...

I agree with you totally and keep all my magazines forever - I have piles everywhere, up the stairs and by the bed! Let's hope there are no more losses, xv.

HeddyShea said...

When I read this post, I knew- knew- knew we were kindred spirits! I even had to have my husband read this because he has never understood what magazines mean to me. He just always thinks I am whacko for having a system to my magazine reading process. In fact, when he really wants to push me over the edge he will start flipping through one of my new magazines when he knows I haven't yet looked / read it. I have to look away because I must take in each and every image FIRST, while the magazine is in my hands. When I read that you suffer from this same illness I realized I wasn't alone! I'm so happy to have found you! xoxo SimplyHeddyShea

disa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.