Sunday, March 4, 2012

Making Maples Syrup


It's that time again! Everyone around here starts tapping for sap. I love it when I see the sap buckets in bloom. Well... now we seem to have these tubes that weave throughout the woods collecting sap instead of the old-fashioned buckets. Up the hill from my house there is a spider web of tubes that takes every drip of sap and distributes it to one main storage bin. It makes hiking a challenge. Sometimes I opt to climb over this intricate web of tubing. Sometimes I do the limbo and go under. I feel like I'm in one of those movies where the thief has to dance and weave his/her way through red laser alarm beams. Hello Ocean's 12 (or is it 11 or 13). Hello, George Clooney. I digress... (Though, I wouldn't mind having pancakes with George.) The best thing about syrup making is that it's a sure sign spring is on the way. Yes, the other great thing is that the sugar shacks will be serving up some maple goodness. I love cramming into a sugar shack on a snowy Sunday morning, smelling pancakes and bacon and wood stoves burning. It's the kind of moment in time where you might just see a community sharing its harvest, or better yet, George Clooney eating pancakes.

3 comments:

Southern Lady said...

That is so cool! We don't have that sort of thing around here. Thanks for sharing. Carla

Casey Weber said...

I love that picture. Did you take it? Is it someone you know? I'd love to paint that picture.

Poll Nike said...

Microsoft has Office 2010 to remove from the subscription site to MSDN,TechNet, Expression.Microsoft sentenced to stop sales of Word and Microsoft Office 2010 Download.